Tuesday, June 19, 2012

What Makes a Villain Pt 1

I AM DONE WITH SCHOOL.
So now you know that I'm not dead.
Hey, did you ever notice that I use the word 'so' to start the majority of my sentences? Because I just did.....
AnyWhovian, I'm just sitting in my room with the laptop. I decided to check my DeviantART, and in my deviantWATCH stack I had a punch of stuff from #DisneyVillainsClub. And it got me thinking...
What really makes a villain?
Many think you just need someone who is evil or sinister or mad (with power or otherwise).
But what is truly evil?
I'm just gonna flat out disqualify all revenge cases. Except for Maleficent, because there's really no reason for her to have been invited to Aurora's christening. That's just a little bit of crazy and no real reason to hate this girl so much.
Then there's the Evil Queen.
If any of you watch(ed) Once Upon A Time, first of all BEST SHOW OTHER THAN DOCTOR WHO TORCHWOOD SHERLOCK and then: Regina is powerful. And she has an actual reason to want to kill Snow. Crazy bitch of a mother and suddenly getting married to a creepy older guy when you already have someone you love, when that one girl just goes and f*cks everything up for her. So her mother rips out her lover boy's heart and Queeny there snaps.
I wouldn't really count her as evil, because she is driven by revenge for her lost love. Same as Sweeney Todd, underneath all the guts it is really just a love story.
Then there's the classic Disney Snow White queen. She has no justification for her bloodlust, she just wants this girl dead because she's prettier.
So starting the list of traits that make a villain:
1) No justifications for what they're doing, just selfishness or being a tad crazy.
2) Vanity to a ridiculous extreme.
I'll finish part two another time, starting with Judge Claude Frollo from the Hunchback of Notre Dame being a complete and udder pedophile.

No comments:

Post a Comment